Things you probably didn't know about lavender...
Lavender is amazing. It smells great and has so many different uses. In fact, we love it so much that we have put it in many of our natural products such as our Floral MakeUp Brush Soap and Good Night Pillow Spray.
Here are some facts you probably didn't know about lavender...
- Lavender gets its name from the the Latin verb “lavare” which means “to wash”, and it comes from the same family as mint.
- In ancient Egyptian times lavender was used during the embalming process. It was also used by royalty and priests as cosmetics and medicines. When Tutankhamun's tomb was opened, jars containing lavender ointments were found.
- During Elizabethan times when baths were not common, the rich used lavender to perfume clothing and bed linen.
- As well as being used to help calm and relax, lavender is also used to soothe muscle aches.
- High quality honey is made from the nectar or lavender plants.
- Whilst purple and blue is the most common colour, some lavender plants come in yellow or pink.
- Queen Victoria was a huge lavender fan, insisting her furniture was cleaned with lavender scented oils. One of her favourite drink was a lavender infused tea.